Mission, values and strategic plan
To be the world’s leading example of an inclusive museum service.
- 1. We are an inclusive and democratic museum service; we aim to maximise social impact and educational benefit for all - museums change lives.
- 2. We believe that museums are fundamentally educational in purpose.
- 3. We believe that museums are places for ideas and dialogue, that use collections to inspire people; we do not shy away from controversy.
- 4. We believe in the power of museums to help promote good and active citizenship, and to act as agents of social change: we believe in the concept of, and campaign for, social justice.
- 5. We believe in the importance of sustainable development and we have a role to play in the conservation and protection of the built and natural environment.
- 6. We believe in seeking out new opportunities and innovative ways of working, so as to keep our public offer fresh, relevant and challenging.