Mission, values and strategic plan
To be the world’s leading example of an inclusive museum service.
- We are an inclusive and democratic museum service; we believe in the concept of social justice: we are funded by the whole of the public and in return we strive to provide an excellent service to the whole of the public.
- We believe that museums are fundamentally educational in purpose.
- We believe that museums are places for ideas and dialogue that use collections to inspire people.
- We believe in the power of museums to help promote good and active citizenship, and to act as agents of social change: museums change lives.
- We believe in the importance of sustainable development and we recognise that we have a role to play in the conservation and protection of the built and natural environment.
- We believe in seeking out new opportunities and innovative ways of working, so as to keep our public offer fresh, relevant, challenging and competitive.