Application to the charity
- Date of application: 1 November 1902
- Place of birth: Liverpool
- Age: 13
- Father’s name: Richard, dead 4 months
- Mother’s name: Emma, dead 5 weeks
- Condition: Fair
- Ship: Bavarian
- Date of departure: 23 April 1903
- Date of arrival: 2 May 1903
- Destination: Belleville, Ontario
Listen to some of Lily's story, or read the transcript below:
To play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your Flash plugin
"Hello, my name is Lily Nixon and I'm 13 years old and I live in Liverpool. My mum and dad died within 6 months of each other and me and my sister had to go and live in a home because I ended up living with a prostitute and the NSPCC said it was too dangerous.
I arrived in Canada in Quebec on 2nd May 1903 and started my new life. I've learnt how to run a house and I'm very happy and contented with my new life. I never really felt like a servant and over time even began to feel like part of the family. I've got a lot of friends and I attend school and church, in the next village, every week."