David Fleming, OBE, MA, PhD, AMA
David Fleming OBE, MA, PhD, AMA, became director of National Museums Liverpool in 2001. Since his arrival he has supervised the completion of several major capital projects, including the £45 million Into The Future project, which featured major refurbishment of both the Walker Art Gallery and World Museum, and the opening of the International Slavery Museum.
He has recently overseen the creation and opening of the new £74 million Museum of Liverpool.
Since he became Director of National Museums Liverpool audiences have quadrupled, rising from around 700,000 per year to more than 3.2 million.
Before arriving in Liverpool, David was director of the multi-award-winning Tyne and Wear Museums for 11 years, where he led teams delivering major capital developments (including Newcastle Discovery Museum, Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens and Segedunum Roman Fort and Museum) and massive audience growth. Prior to that he was principal keeper at Hull Museums, where his major projects included a new Transport Museum and The Old Grammar School. He started his museum career as founder-curator of the Yorkshire Museum of Farming, York.
David is a past President of the UK Museums Association and has served on several Government committees and task forces. In 2002 he was named in the Independent on Sunday as one of the ten leading people in UK museums. He was awarded an OBE in the 1997 New Years Honours List for services to museums.
He sits on a number of boards and governing bodies, and is currently:
- President, Museums Association (from April 2015)
- Chairman, ICOM Finance and Resources Committee
- Vice Chair and Treasurer, European Museum Forum
- Founding President of the Federation of International Human Rights Museums
- Vice President, UK Museums Association Board and Chair of Ethics Committee
- Member, Steering Group, Liverpool World Heritage Site
- Founding President of the Social Justice Alliance for Museums (SJAM)
- External Examiner, University of Leicester, School of Museum Studies
- Visiting Professor of Museum Studies, Liverpool Hope University
- Chairman, Mayor of Liverpool’s Cultural Heritage Task and Finish Group
- Special Advisor, International Museum of Democracy, Rosario, Argentina
David has published extensively and has lectured and advised museums, municipalities and governments worldwide in more than forty countries on museum management and leadership, city history museums, museum ethics, cultural heritage management, social inclusion and human rights.