Appointment of trustees
National Museums Liverpool want the membership of our Board to be representative of the diverse populations we serve and as such we welcome applications from those with relevant background and experience, both nationally and locally, and supportive of our mission ‘To be the world’s leading example of an inclusive museum service.’
We are looking to recruit between eight and ten new members to our Board across a broad spectrum of skills and experience, and, as such, are looking for both General Trustees alongside other trustees with specific skills, where we are able to match experience and skills to a desirable role.
Applications are welcome from everyone who matches the core requirements and feel National Museums Liverpool would input from your input and enthusiasm, and/or if you have these core requirements and relevant skills sought for specific roles such as finance or commercial.
Number and type of trustees required
We are looking for the following trustees, but can be flexible depending upon the applications we receive. You are welcome to apply for more than one role:
- up to 2 finance trustees
- 1 commercial trustee
- 1 estate management/ property trustee
- 3-4 trustees, specialising in one or more of the following areas: marketing, digital, creative and human resources/transformational management.
- 3-4 general trustees (depending upon the specialist trustees appointed)
For all Trustee positions, we are looking for candidates who are able to demonstrate the following essential requirements:
- a passion for museums and galleries and/or a passion for Liverpool and the north west and a desire to support and develop a major cultural organisation there
- an understanding of National Museums Liverpool work, especially as the only national museum service outside London
- an understanding of operating at board level, working constructively with fellow board members and wider stakeholders
- an understanding of the potential opportunities for shared service provision and partnerships, particularly working alongside education and health organisations
- an understanding of both the role cultural venues can play and the potential opportunities for delivering economic growth to the region; and
- a willingness to sit on or lead Trustee Committees.
In addition, we welcome applications that can demonstrate the following desirable criteria. For the finance, commercial, and property/estate management roles these are also essential:
- Finance – for this role we are looking for someone with senior/executive financial experience, preferably within a charitable/public sector, and with an accountancy qualification. At least one trustee will join the Finance Committee, and one will join the Audit Committee.
- Commercial - for this role we are looking for someone with senior/executive commercial experience, particularly in high street and/or online retail (shops, cafes and restaurants) and/or licensing and publications. Expertise in managing commercial growth strategies and implementation would also be an advantage.
- Property/Estate Management - for this role we are looking for someone with experience of managing an historic estate and the need for this to be adapted and used efficiently in a modern context, while protecting each venue’s individual character, historic nature, and heritage value.
- Marketing – for this role we are looking for someone with experience of strategic marketing, including advocacy, audience development, and digital media.
- Digital – for this role we are looking for someone with proven digital experience to take forward NML’s vision of ‘Digital in Everything We Do’.
- Human resources/transformational management – for this rolewe are looking for someone with proven HR experience, and, in particular, experience of transformational management in relation to the culture and behavioural aspects of an organisation.
- Creative – for this role we are looking for an innovative thinker who will challenge the age old ideals of what museums should be, and bring fresh and new ways of working
Appointment process and how to apply
The process for this public appointment will adhere to the Code of Practice published by the Office of the Commissioner for Public Appointments
To apply and to find out more please click through to the Centre for Public Appointments.