Useful websites and books
If you are interested in conservation you might find the following websites and books useful.
Conservation in museums and galleries
Conservation advice and information
- Conservation Online a large conservation resource dealing with many topics in depth
- Canadian Conservation Institute detailed descriptions of how to look after all types of objects
- The Scottish Museums Council fact sheets on various conservation issues
- Henri D. Grissino-Mayer’s Ultimate Tree-Ring Web Pages dendrochronology explained with images and examples
- The Plastics Historical Society lots of information on the history of plastics, collecting, and conservation issues, including results of a museum survey of plastics
- The Scanning Electron Microscope this site explains how the scanning electron microscope works. It has a large picture library of beautiful SEM images of many animals, vegetables and minerals with a great quiz. The site also provides set of teacher’s notes.
- British Conservation Information Network bibliographic database of the conservation information network
- Royal Microscopical Society the website of the Royal Microscopical Society
- Try Science a virtual science museum. The site has lots of fun interactives and is easy to use.
- Physics.org ask anything, and get an answer tailored to your age, and how much you know about physics already
- What’s that bug? a site where people can search to identify insects that they see. They can also post pictures and questions.
- Mould and Mildew a look at the organisms and fungi that cause problems in museums
- Care and Handling of CDs and DVDs information on the care and handling of CDs and DVDs. Information on how such media work, what they are made of and how they are made.
- Conservation Physics – Index an index of physics terms and principles relevant to conservation
- American Institute of Conservation Research and Technical Studies Subgroup the site presents current conservation projects undertaken by the American Institute of Conservation.
- The McCrone Atlas of Microscopic Particles the site provides material identification information and general microscopy imaging from one of the main names in microscopy. Featuring “Particle of the Week”. NB: A subscription is required for full access.
- WebElements periodic table the periodic table giving information about each element
- Abstracts of International Conservation Literature search literature on conservation topics
- BBC Science a portal website providing the latest scientific news
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission the site enables relatives to discover where service people killed in the world wars may be buried
- CA Models Stirling an introduction to rapid prototyping and 5 axis machining technologies
- The University of Northumbria, Conservation of Fine Art MA painting conservation masters degree
- The Conservation Register a list of accredited (usually private) conservators in the UK
- The Hamilton Kerr Institute an institution that runs painting conservation courses
- Bonhams art auctioneers and valuers of art, pictures, collectables and motorcars
- CCD (Charged Coupled Devices) Group at UCL find out how charge coupled devices (CDD) work and how they are used in digital cameras, video and infrared cameras.
- Gilded wood, Conservation and History, D Bigelow, Sound View Press
- National Trust Manual of Housekeeping - practical advice for caring for objects, though in a country house context. The National Trust
- The Art of the Picture Frame, Jacob Simon, National Portrait Gallery
- The Book of Picture Frames, Claus Grimm, Abaris
- Framing in the Golden Age - Picture and Frame in 17th Century Holland, Pieter JJ van Thiel and CJ de Bruyn Kops, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam (English edition publication by John Davies Framing Ltd)