This is a Grodnertal type doll. She is wearing a cotton dress and silk bonnet. She has a gesso-covered and painted wooden head, and was made between 1820 and 1840, probably by an Austrian maker. The name Grondertal comes from Gröden Tal, a remote village on the Austrian/ Italian border, famous for wood carving since 1643. Wares made in Gröden Tal were carried door to door across Europe from Lisbon to Russia.