The Rossie Priory collection
The art collection of Rossie Priory (Perthshire, Scotland) was started by George Kinnaird (the 7th Lord). His son, the 8th peer Lord Charles Kinnaird, continued building the collection with purchases made during his travels in Italy during the 19th century. Lord Charles had the architect William Atkinson build Rossie Priory at Inchture in 1826 and this is where the extensive collection of Greek, Etruscan and Roman antiquities was housed. The catalogue of the collection was compiled by George and published in 1877.
After the Second World War Rossie Priory was deemed too large to maintain and on 20 and 21 December 1948 the collection was auctioned off by Sotheby and Co. A private collector from Liverpool, Dr Philip Nelson, bought lot number 203, the statue of Narcissus, for thirty pounds. In 1949 his widow sold the statue and other items from the collection to what is now known as National Museums Liverpool.
'Notes and Reminiscences of Rossie Priory', Lord George Kinnaird (Dundee, 1877).
'Ancient Marbles in Great Britain', Adolf Michaelis (Cambridge, 1882).