The New River Estate, Nevis
New River, site of slave village
Located on the windward side of Nevis, the New River Estate was established in the early 1720s and operated as a large-scale sugar plantation throughout much of the 18th century. By the 1750s, nearly 130 enslaved Africans worked and lived at New River. Archaeological data indicates that two slave villages were located on the estate, one dating from the mid-1700s to 1780 and a second dating from the early 1780s through emancipation in 1834.
Today, the New River Estate is relatively undeveloped. Remains of the great house, cisterns, and sugar works, including an early windmill and a later steam mill, all indicate substantial owner investment in the plantation. Relocation of the slave village in the 1780s, as well improvements in sugar works technology demonstrate that New River owners upgraded their sugar works in order to maximize sugar production in the face of abolition of the slave trade (1807) and emancipation (1834).