How big is the Earth?
- The total surface area of the Earth is 59,600,000 square kilometres.
- The distance right around the Earth at its widest point, the Equator, is about 40,076 kilometres.
- The distance from one side of the Earth (straight through the middle) to the other is about 12,756 kilometres.
How old is the Earth?
- Somewhere between 4.8 and 4.5 billion years old.
What is on the surface?
- 71% of the Earth is covered by water, the rest by land.
- Democritus (460-370BC) believed that the Earth was an oblong.
- Archelaud (5th century BC) thought it was disc-shaped and hollow in the middle.