Lamp

LL 1469

About this object

A blue jasper case for an Argand lamp. An Argand lamp was a new type of oil lanp which produced a much brighter light. It was invented by Swiss Scientist Ami Argand (1750-1803). The cylindrical base held the oil resevoir and a glass chimney sat above this.
Wedgwood had met Argand and he worked with fellow industrialist Matthew Boulton in Birmingham to make the lamp cases. Boulton made the metal parts needed for the lamp.
  • Date
    1786 - 1800
  • Maker
    Wedgwood
  • Materials
    Jasperware
  • Credit line
    From the Collection of Lord Leverhulme
  • Location
    Lady Lever Art Gallery, Room 04, Case 9008
  • Place made
    Europe: Northern Europe: UK: England: Staffordshire: Stoke-on-Trent: Hanley
  • Measurements
    190 mm x 129 mm x 149 mm
  • Collection
    From the Lady Lever Art Gallery collections
Object view = Decorative Arts
Have 2 place tagsPage load time: 609 ms