Schools and groups
The Lady Lever Art Gallery offers a wide range of activities, sessions and resources for education and community groups of all ages. These are run by our Education and Communities team.
Booking a group visit
Schools and groups can also pre-book our activity rooms including lunch facilities.
Learning sessions are free of charge and usually link to the national curriculum through our collections and displays. Many sessions are led by a member of our team, while some are self-led. Booking well in advance is advised.
- See the Learning sessions page for details
Preparing for your visit
We strongly advise that all teachers and accompanying adults visiting the gallery with a group read the following guidance notes. This will give you all the practical information you need to ensure that you have an enjoyable and productive visit, including sample risk assessments.
We have prepared teacher's notes and student's workbooks on the themes listed below. Some can be downloaded, where indicated. You can request printed copies of the other materials by using the education enquiries form, or by calling the group bookings team on 0151 478 4788.
Please note that you need to request resources at the time of booking. We do not provide pencils or clipboards so please remember to bring your own on the day.
Popular topics include Victorians and Dragons in Chinese Art. You can also explore local and social history through the legacy of Lord Leverhulme’s soap industry and his personal collection of treasures. The gallery has a strong Pre-Raphaelite collection including paintings by Millais and Rossetti - suitable for independent study or through one of our related sessions.
- Download Teacher's pack with background information, sample questions, etc (pdf)
- Download Lever's Treasures - picture trail (pdf) , key stage 1
- Download Ancient Civilisations, myths and meaning - picture trail (pdf) , key stages 2 and 3
- Download The Victorians, people and places - picture trail (pdf) , key stages 2 and 3
- Download The Victorians, seasons and animals - picture trail (pdf) , key stages 2 and 3
- Download William Hesketh Lever, soot and soap - picture trail (pdf) , key stages 2 and 3
- Download Liverpool's Biggest Big Draw Activity Pack (pdf) - suitable for home or classroom use
Interactive gallery trails are also available for testing for key stages 3 and 4. Please ask how your school can be involved.
Our education booklets, which give an overview of what we offer for different age groups in all our venues, can be downloaded here:
Sign up for our e-newsletter
Get the latest news and information - sign up for the education and communities e-newsletter .