The third and final HMS Conway
HMS Conway being towed through the Menai Straits on her way for a refit at Birkenhead, 14 April 1953, before she was driven ashore by an unexpectedly powerful tide and grounded. Archive reference PF1839 9 25
In 1876 when the second HMS Conway proved too small to accommodate the growing number of cadets, this was replaced by HMS Nile. Also renamed HMS Conway, she remained in the Mersey until 1941, when she was moved to the Menai Straits to avoid the Blitz.
By 1949 with cadet numbers rising, conditions on board were very cramped, so the Captain Superintendent reached agreement with the Marquis of Anglesey to use part of his mansion, Plas Newydd, Anglesey, for dormitories, school rooms, a sports fields and a private dock.
Whilst being returned to the Mersey for a refit in 1953, the last HMS Conway training ship was grounded near the Menai Suspension Bridge and broke her back. Three years later she caught fire and had to be broken up.