Visit the Maritime Archives and Library
Maritime Archives temporary closure
As part of the new Sea Galleries development at Merseyside Maritime Museum, National Museums Liverpool is creating an improved Maritime Archives research centre. The improved Archive facilities will open in autumn 2018. They will offer an enhanced public space providing information about archive material relating to Liverpool shipping and seafarers, as well as improved research facilities for visitors accessing National Museums Liverpool’s Maritime Archives.
To enable this work to take place, Maritime Archives is temporarily closed to the public from 1 September 2017 until autumn 2018, and during this time we will be unable to accommodate researchers or answer enquiries.
The Maritime Archives and Library is now open on Mondays and Tuesdays, 10.30am-12.30pm and 1.30-4.30pm. We are closed on Bank Holidays.
Where are we
We are on the second floor of the Merseyside Maritime Museum, close to the stairs and lift. Directions to the museum are available from the Your visit section .
Reserve store location
On North Street, Liverpool. Only open by prior appointment at certain times. Please contact us for current information on access.
What to bring with you
Entry to and use of the archives and library is free.
We request that visitors use one of the provided lockers for storing coats and bags. There is a £1 refundable charge. You will need a lead (graphite) pencil and paper for making notes. You may want to take photocopies of some documents in which case you'll need change to pay for them. Use of your own digital camera (handheld) may be permitted on special request.
We request that visitors to the archive and library observe our searchroom rules which include:
- Put their coats, bags etc in one of the provided lockers.
- Do not smoke, eat, drink or use a mobile phone while visiting.
- Use only a lead (graphite) pencil while making notes. Pens and coloured pencils are strictly forbidden.
- Only use battery operated laptops as we cannot provide mains charging.
- Treat the facilities and other visitors with respect, so avoid marking or damaging documents and making unnecessary noise.
- Free wifi (Maritime Archives and Library only).
- Microfilm/fiche reader printers (Maritime Archives and Library only), please book in advance where possible.
- Limited photographic/plan reprographic service.