Tender to steam yacht Galatea, 1906
Accession number 1972.243
The Galatea was the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board's yacht and was used for official functions around the dock estate - entertaining guests, breaking ribbons at opening ceremonies etc. The boat in the museum collection was a rowing tender from the Galatea and would have been used to transfer people and equipment between the yacht and the shore.
The tender was stored on davits on the afterdeck of the Galatea and is clearly visible on photographs of the yacht. The tender was built by JP Rennoldson of South Shields in County Durham and was decorated with gold leaf along the gunwale (the top edge of the boat).
The Galatea entertained many high profile guests during its working life, including the Queen when she was still Princess Elizabeth, but the yacht was not replaced when taken out of service in 1958. In Liverpool the yacht was known as the "gala - tea"!
This boat is currently in store.