Sefton Park boat, c1930

Accession number 1980.209.1

wooden rowing boat, brightly painted with a number 14 on the side

This skiff from the museum collection was built around 1930 in Chester for the City Parks Department. It was used on the boating lake in Liverpool's Sefton Park, where members of the public could hire the boats. The Sefton Park pleasure boats are a nostalgic part of many people's memories of the city. Boating was popular on the lake until the 1970s when the boats were withdrawn for repair but never returned.

When Sefton Park opened in 1872 it was one of three parks in Victorian Liverpool designed to provide a healthier environment and recreation space for workers living in the city's crowded streets. As well as a large boating lake, the park contained tennis courts, a cricket pitch and a glazed Palm House| as well as an aviary and paths for horse riding.

Location

This boat is on display in the Museum of Liverpool| - look out for it above your heads in a high level display!