Liverpool pilot cutter number 2, 1953
The largest object in National Museums Liverpool's collections is the Edmund Gardner, a former pilot cutter that can now be found in dry dock opposite the Maritime Museum.
During her working life of almost 30 years the Edmund Gardner was essentially a base out in the Irish Sea for the Pilotage Service, providing accommodation for up to 32 pilots at a time. The pilots met all shipping approaching the Mersey and guided them into and out of the docks, to ensure their safety.
In an exciting new project the Edmund Gardner has become a dazzle ship, as part of the the Biennial and First World War commemorations.
The Edmund Gardner is not usually open to the public but free tours of the ship are available to book during the summer. You can also see inside with our online tour.
National award for volunteers
Two of our volunteers, James and George, have been honoured with the prestigious Marsh Volunteer award in recognition of their outstanding contribution to the conservation of the Edmund Gardner.
Read more about this on the blog.
The Edmund Gardner's historic importance has been recognized by the National Historic Ships Committee, which has included the vessel in its National Core Collection of Historic Ships. She has also received the World Ship Trust's award as an outstanding example of ship preservation.
Find out more about the history of the ship on this website:
View of port side from forward