Port side propeller (4 bladed) and cone from the wreck of RMS Lusitania

MMM.1989.159

Part of

Lusitania collection

About this object

This 22.5 ton, four-bladed propeller is one of four which drove Cunard's RMS Lusitania across the Atlantic on her tragic final voyage in May 1915.

It was the most complete of the three salvaged from the wreck off Southern Ireland in 1982 and was purchased by the Merseyside Maritime Museum in 1989. The propeller has been displayed on the museum’s historic quaysides ever since.

Each year on 7 May, the anniversary of the sinking of the ship by the German submarine U-20, a service of commemoration is held at the propeller for the 1191 victims of this incident.

Object specifics

  • Title
    Port side propeller (4 bladed) and cone from the wreck of RMS Lusitania
  • Accession no.
    MMM.1989.159
  • Type
    Propeller
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Date made
    c1908
  • Materials
    Manganese Bronze; Cast Iron
  • Location
    Merseyside Maritime Museum: Quay,
  • Measurements
    500 cm x 500 cm x 500 cm x 22.5 tons
  • Collection
    From the Merseyside Maritime Museum collections
Object view = Social History
Page load time: 703 ms