RMS Carmania

1970.244.42

Part of

Lusitania collection

About this object

Carmania was built by John Brown & Co. of Glasgow and launched in February 1905. At the time, she and her sister ship Caronia were the largest ships in Cunard’s fleet.

Carmania was requisitioned for military service as an Armed Merchant Cruiser. Her most noticeable action came on the 14 September when she sank the Cap Trafalgar. Later she patrolled the Portuguese coast and was involved in the disastrous Gallipoli campaign.

After the war she carried Canadian troops back home.

Object specifics

  • Title
    RMS Carmania
  • Accession no.
    1970.244.42
  • Type
    Builder's-style exhibition model
  • Artist/Maker
    Bassett Lowke Ltd
  • Place made
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Date made
    c 1904
  • Materials
  • Location
    Merseyside Maritime Museum, First Floor, Lusitania: Life, Loss, Legacy
  • Measurements
    overall, incl baseboard, pedestals: 125 x 38 x 350. case 195 x 69 x 385. scale :1:48
  • Collection
    From the Merseyside Maritime Museum collections
Object view = Social History
Page load time: 78 ms