Sea chest owned by Captain Daniel Dow, master of RMS Lusitania. His name and rank is inscribed on the front of the chest: "Lieut D. Dow RNR".
Daniel Dow was born at Castlebellingham, Co. Louth, Ireland. He was apprenticed to Thomas & John Brocklebank in Liverpool and settled in the city, qualifying as a master in 1887. He entered Cunard’s service in 1888, and was Master of all their large liners, including Mauretania and Lusitania. Under Dow’s command, Mauretania gained the Blue Riband title.
Following the outbreak of the First World War Lusitania continued to sail through the danger zone patrolled by enemy submarines under Dow’s command. He was granted shore leave in March 1915, due to the stresses of wartime which had made him ill.
Dow was appointed to command Mauretania carrying troops to the Dardanelles after the loss of Lusitania. He retired from active service in 1919.