West Cheshire Clipper number 23
Accession number 1984.481
West Cheshire clipper dinghy 'Sobraon' off New Brighton, 1955. © West Cheshire Sailing Club
The Clipper class dinghy originated from a design that was developed in 1919 in which women learned to sail. It offered more comfort and safety than other dinghy classes.
A modified version of this design was adopted for use by the West Cheshire Sailing Club. The new Clipper class dinghy proved to be an excellent racing boat on the River Mersey. By 1957 there were 26 boats which were also being used by the local Wallasey Yacht Club and Royal Mersey Yacht club.
The popularity of the class fell in the 1960s with the development of other dinghy classes, but there are vintage Clipper class dinghies still sailed locally.
'Spindrift' is displayed with a vintage sail from West Cheshire Clipper number 6. She is rigged for display, not for sailing.
West Cheshire Clipper number 6 sail is on loan from Ian Reid of West Cheshire Sailing Club.
West Cheshire Sailing Club Regatta on the Mersey, 2010. © Craig Beaufort-Dysart, West Cheshire Sailing Club