Archives and bookable tours
As part of the new Sea Galleries development at Merseyside Maritime Museum, National Museums Liverpool is creating an improved Maritime Archives research centre. The improved Archive facilities will open in Spring 2018. They will offer an enhanced public space providing information about archive material relating to Liverpool shipping and seafarers, as well as improved research facilities for visitors accessing National Museums Liverpool’s Maritime Archives.
To enable this work to take place, Maritime Archives will need to temporarily close to the public from 1 September 2017 until spring 2018, and during this time we will be unable to accommodate researchers or answer enquiries.
- Admission charge - Free entry to the museum and all of the events and exhibitions inside.
- Cloakroom - Coin-operated lockers are available on the ground floor (please bring an old £1 coin, which will be returned after use). We ask that visitors avoid bringing large bags into the museum.
- Shop - The shop on the ground floor has a wide range of souvenirs, books, postcards and fair trade gifts. Our maritime range is also available from the online shop.
- Café - The café on the ground floor serves a selection of cold food and drinks. A children's menu and bottle warming facilities are available.
- Restaurant - The Maritime Dining Room on the top floor serves lunch and afternoon tea.
- Picnic area - There are benches and tables overlooking the docks outside the museum, where visitors can eat a picnic on a nice day. Please dispose of rubbish responsibly.
- Free wifi - Available in the café and the Maritime Archives and Library.
- Group bookings - To book a self-guided visit please either complete the education enquiry form on this website or ring our group bookings team on 0151 478 4788. Further information for teachers is on the Schools and groups page.
- Photography - Non-commercial photography is usually allowed across the museum, however please check for signs in our special exhibitions when you visit. Please note that neither flash nor tripods can be used. Video cameras or other recording equipment may not be used as filming is prohibited. Anyone wanting to use the venue for location shooting of any kind should contact our press department using this form.
- Prayer room - We do not have a prayer room but one is available at the nearby Museum of Liverpool.
- Noise levels - Feel free to bring your mp3 player or mobile phone with you but please turn phones to 'vibrate only' and please consider other visitors when adjusting your volume levels.
- Displays - If you are visiting to see a particular object we suggest you contact us in advance to ensure it is on gallery (we sometimes loan objects to other galleries or remove them for conservation). Call the information desk on 0151 478 4499.