Gay life on the ocean wave
Hello Sailor! looks at life on board passenger and merchant ships from the 1950s to 1980s, a time when homosexuality was illegal and for gay men there were few places to be safe.
Based on research carried out for the book 'Hello Sailor! The Hidden History of Gay Life at Sea' by Jo Stanley and Paul Baker, the displays reveal a little known aspect of the history of the merchant navy.
Watch a short video of Jo Stanley talking about Hello Sailor! on the Homotopia TV blog.
Follow the links below for further information about the key themes.
The exhibition was originally shown at Merseyside Maritime Museum, before going on tour to the following venues:
- Merseyside Maritime Museum, 25 August 2006 to 25 March 2007
- Maritime Museum in Southampton, 13 April to 9 September 2007
- Merseyside Maritime Museum, 22 September 2007 to 15 January 2009
- Discovery Museum, Tyne and Wear, 28 January to 19 April 2009
- Merseyside Maritime Museum, 16 May to 23 August 2009
- The Tall Ship at Glasgow Harbour, 5 September to 29 November 2009
- Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, Nova Scotia: 19 May to 27 November 2011
- Merseyside Maritime Museum, permanent display from 12 December 2009