'SS Halizones' ship model
This model of the 'SS Halizones' was used by Customs Officers as a visual aid at the Waterguard Training Centre until 1972. The vessel's name was used during the many completed exercises by the trainee Assistant Preventive Officers. It was useful to introduce students to the parts of a ship and related paperwork, to prepare them to carry out their jobs effectively.
The actual merchant ship 'SS Halizones' was built around 1920 by Ayrshire Dock Yard (Irvine) for RP Houston and Co (London). It was used to transport cargo between the UK and the continent, and later South Africa. In July 1943 it was travelling in a large convoy between Glasgow and Buenos Aires when it was attacked by German Condor seaplanes. Badly damaged, it sank three days later off the Portuguese coast.
This object is not currently on display.
Accession number CENM2006.1