Known as ‘MDBH No.1’ this saddle-tank locomotive worked for Mersey Docks and Harbour Board on Liverpool docks from 1904 until 1966 - a remarkable working life of 62 years.
It carried its water supply in a tank mounted like a saddle across the boiler and has a wheel arrangement of 0-6-0. Special features incorporated for use on the docks included a spark arrestor on the chimney to reduce the fire risk, and a warning bell fitted to the driving mechanism which would ring whenever the locomotive was in motion.
It was built by the Avonside Engine Company of Bristol (No. 1465) and following its long career it was presented to the Museum by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board.