Ford Anglia 105E Saloon

1969.214.1

Part of

Land Transport

The land transport collection includes many vehicles spanning several centuries of Liverpool's history.

About this object

This Ford Anglia 105E Saloon was the first car to be produced at Ford’s new factory at Halewood, Liverpool.

Before completion it was featured as the prize in a competition in the Liverpool Echo newspaper, which was won by a Mr Taylor. The car was ceremonially driven off the production line by the Lord Mayor of Liverpool on 8 March 1963 and was handed over to its new owner with a special registration 1KF. Mr Taylor could not drive and sold the car on. Fords bought the car back three years later and donated it to Liverpool City Museum, as World Museum was then known.

Its engine was the first overhead valve unit used on a small Ford and this was coupled to a four speed gearbox. The car has a distinctive body shape with a 'reverse-slope' rear window.

Object specifics

  • Title
    Ford Anglia 105E Saloon
  • Accession no.
    1969.214.1
  • Type
    Motorcar
  • Artist/Maker
    Ford Motor Co Ltd
  • Place made
    Europe: Northern Europe: UK: England: Merseyside: Knowsley: Halewood
  • Date made
    1963.03.08
  • Materials
    metal; glass; plastic; rubber
  • Location
    Museum of Liverpool, Second Floor, People's Republic
  • Measurements
    1422 x 1435 x 3899 mm
  • Collection
    From the Museum of Liverpool collections
Object view = Social History
Page load time: 218 ms