This handcart was used by Clayton and Dorsman Ltd a firm of decorators, joiners, builders and contractors based at 4 & 6 St. Bridge Street, L8. The business was started in 1879 by John Clayton who then joined up with Francis Dorsman in 1912. In the publication ‘Liverpool of Today’ in 1887 Clayton is described as managing ‘his business with more than average utility, is well known and highly respected by the trade, and is very popular with the local community.’
The handcart is though to have been made by local firm Bakers and was sign painted by James Gannon. The company closed in 2001after 111 years in business.