Burrell steam traction engine
Museum of Liverpool on the road
Part of the 'on the road' programme, which toured objects to different locations while the Museum of Liverpool was constructed.
Object: Burrell steam traction engine
Accession number MMM.1968.53
The Burrell, manufactured by Charles Burrell & Co Ltd, Thetford, Norfolk in 1909, was purchased new by Robert Bridson and Son of Neston, Wirral. Originally the engine hauled furniture removal vans to Wales, north Lancashire and the Peak District, later it was used for road making and threshing.
In 1948 the Burrell was converted to a tar sprayer and was used for this purpose until 1953. After lying unused for a number of years it was donated to National Museums Liverpool.
The Burrell steam traction engine went out to a number of local events as part of 'on the road'.