Sandfield Park School pupils celebrate mass at Our Lady and St Nicholas Church.
Pupils at Sandfield Park School traced the history of Our Lady and St Nicholas, the city’s parish church. The children discovered that the church was built in 1361 when the Black Death struck the city and more burial space was needed.
Its proximity to the River Mersey meant it attracted sailors for many years. The sailors would pray to a white image of the Virgin Mary, asking her for a safe return from their travels. St Nicholas is the patron saint of sailors.
Now the church serves the local community, shops and businesses, and is a proud reminder of Liverpool’s past.
Faith item: Pot Noodle and sharps box selected by David Brazendale:
“The Church is a place where those in physical and spiritual need have come … we administer practical and spiritual aid to the City”.