A home on Pembroke Place
Pembroke Place 1862 © Liverpool Libraries and Archives
The Little Georgian Day Nursery is the oldest surviving building on Pembroke Place. The street was laid out by the mid 18th century, but originally was a route out of the town of Liverpool across farmland. The first houses were built along the road in the last years of the 18th century.
The first known resident of Pembroke Place is Thomas Oakes, who lived here in 1796. He was a pharmacist, then known as a 'druggist'. This was an area which wealthy professional people moved to, away from the hustle of the town centre. Writing in 1875, Liverpool Historian James Picton described Pembroke Place:
"soon after 1800... the upper end of Pembroke Place was lined with a row of goodly mansions."
Early street directories tell us that merchants, gentlemen, a solicitor, and a book-keeper lived on Pembroke Place in the early 19th century.
Gradually the character of the street changed, and many of the houses were reused as shops. By 1900 this house was a gentleman's home, and next door 14-18 Pembroke Place was Globe Furnishing furniture store.