Medical Pembroke Place
Detail of architect's drawing of the School of Tropical Medicine © By courtesy of The University of Liverpool A38/39/1
Pembroke Place’s first recorded resident was Thomas Oakes, a druggist, and the street has always retained its links to medical practice and research.
Liverpool Royal Infirmary
Liverpool Royal Infirmary was founded in 1743. At the suggestion of Florence Nightingale, a nurse training school was established in 1862.
The hospital moved to a brand new building on Pembroke Place in 1890. This brick and terracotta building was designed by Alfred Waterhouse, with advice from Florence Nightingale about the design and ventilation of the wards. It is now a listed building.
The Liverpool School of Dentistry was founded in 1861 as the Liverpool Dispensary for Diseases of the Teeth. It was run by Captain W.J Newman, who devoted three mornings a week to treating patients for free. The school was recognised by the Royal College of Surgeons in 1876. It was on Mount Pleasant from 1880 until 1910, then moved to Pembroke Place. The school was amalgamated into the University of Liverpool, and WH Gilmour, the third dean, obtained the first professorship in dentistry in the UK. Liverpool University founded a Chair in Dental Science in 1963. This old School building was demolished to make way for the current dental school in 1969. The hospital currently accommodates approximately 150 dental chairs, within six teaching clinics for Restorative, Paediatric and Prosthetic Dentistry.
Aerial view of Pembroke Place c1930s © Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine
When Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM) was founded in 1898 it was the first institution in the world dedicated to this. Sir Alfred Jones, a wealthy merchant, donated £350 to set up LSTM to investigate outbreaks of tropical disease in Liverpool.
In 1915 LSTM’s first building at Pembroke Place was built, now known as the Old School. This was initially used as a military hospital during the First World War, and was put into full use as the School of Tropical Medicine in 1920.
Ronald Ross was LSTM’s first lecturer in Tropical Medicine. In 1902 Ross became the first British recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his work on malaria transmission.
In 1921 Sir Alfred Lewis Jones funded the development of LSTM’s first overseas research laboratory in Freetown, Sierra Leone. LSTM continues to work with satellite institutions and partners around the world, working in over 70 countries. LSTM was awarded higher education institution status in 2013, and gained independent degree awarding powers in 2017.
Architect's drawing of the School of Tropical Medicine © By courtesy of The University of Liverpool A38/39/1