Story boxes in a very Wondrous Place, early years
- Suitable for: Early Years Foundation Stage
- Subjects: Communication and language, Personal, social and emotional development
- Session type: Teacher led
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Class size (maximum): 30
- Venue: Museum of Liverpool
Teacher led storytelling takes place in our Tent of Stories and supports drama and storytelling topics.
Story boxes can be booked Monday to Friday.
© Paula Parker
Stories available for this session are:
- We're all going on a bear hunt, Michael Rosen
- The Emperor of Absurdia, Chris Riddell
- The incredible book eating boy, Oliver Jeffers
- Beegu, Alexis Deacon
- Aaargh! Spider! Lydia Monks
Groups may like to combine a Story box teacher led session with a visit to Little Liverpool. The Little Liverpool gallery is a hands-on world especially for children in early years and key stage 1 to play and learn. Inside the gallery our youngest visitors can create their own Liverpool - a city where they are in charge. This session is facilitated by a member of of the Museum of Liverpool's Education team.
Early Years Communication and language development
- Listening and attention: Children listen attentively in a range of situations. They listen to stories, accurately anticipating key events, and respond to what they hear with relevant comments, questions or actions.
- Speaking: Children express themselves effectively, showing awareness of listeners’ needs.
Personal, social and emotional development
- Self confidence and awareness: Children are confident to try new activities. They are confident to speak in a familiar group and will talk about their ideas.
Knowledge and understanding
- understand that the Story Tent is a special place.
- listen to stories and respond to questions.
- create actions and sounds for characters in stories.
- develop listening skills.
- appreciate storytelling can occur in museums.
Attitudes and values
- be inspired by the stories and props we have in our storyboxes.
- see the Museum of Liverpool as an enjoyable and surprising place to visit.
- appreciate the Story Tent is great fun and encourage them to explore the rest of the Museum of Liverpool.