The Piermaster's House - a 1940s wartime house
The Piermaster’s House, 9 Albert Parade, was originally built in 1852 for the piermaster and his family. The piermaster was responsible for ensuring the safe passage of ships entering and leaving the dock at high tide.
The house was one of four built on this site, and was the only one left standing following the heavy bombings in the Second World War.
In 2003 it was transformed back into a wartime house, dressed with original period furniture and everyday objects like gas-masks and ration books reflecting the days of shortages and rationing.
Come and find out more about the house and life in wartime Liverpool.
The Piermaster's House is on the waterfront between the Museum of Liverpool and the Albert Dock. It is open every day, 10am-4.30pm and is free to visit.
There are free events on selected dates throughout the year. These are arranged by Merseyside Maritime Museum, so check their What's on page to find out what's coming up.
Schools can book special learning sessions at the Piermaster's House, including house, home and washday sessions for younger schoolchildren and a Second World War session for older children.