From a small fishing village on the River Mersey to the large conurbation of today, Liverpool's growth has been spectacular. When Chadwick produced his map of the town in 1725, there was still open countryside the far end of Dale Street. In the nineteenth century, wealthy merchants moved out from the congested and noisy town centre to the airy heights of Everton and then further into the country; as they moved outwards, the expanding population spread behind them. The physical area occupied by the city grew enormously, as the population peaked at nearly 800,000 in 1951. As a result of slum clearance, large council estates were built on what were then the outskirts, in places such as Norris Green and Speke. In contrast, large areas such as Mossley Hill, Childwall and West Derby were covered with estates of privately-owned semi-detached homes.
Thanks to artists such as Baettie, A.H. Jones, Tankard and Herdman, the changing landscape of Liverpool has been brilliantly captured. A journalist in 1930, regretted the change in character brought about by the spread of housing, and remembered quiet roads down which it was 'a soothing pleasure on a summer's evening, to wind along between the mossy, red sandstone walls, with the line of grand old trees arching overhead; past grassy demesne and wooded estate; past snug cottage house, dairy and poultry farm, into country innocent of rushing traffic.' It is this sometimes forgotten aspect of Liverpool's history which is depicted in this book.
Format: 142 pages, paperback
Publisher: The Bluecoat Press
Dimensions: 277 x 211 x 11mm