This report provides the results of a community excavation run by National Museums Liverpool’s Archaeology Department at Leasowe Lighthouse, Great Meols in Autumn 2007, and commissioned by Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council.The Lighthouse was originally constructed in 1763 and is a Grade II listed monument. The archaeological excavation focused on the 19th-and 20th century buildings known to have stood at the base of the lighthouse. The report contains a history of the lighthouse from contemporary map evidence, challenging some established folklore. It presents some of the finds from the site which illuminate the social life of the inhabitants and the visitors who used this area of the coast.
Format: 52 pages, paperback
Publisher: National Museums Liverpool (2011)
Dimensions: 300 x 210 x 5mm