Dining room

Dining table in dining room at Sudley House

The Holts used this room to entertain their wealthy friends. They must have discussed their business interests and charities over dinner here.

The sideboard is the same one that stood here then. It has George Holt’s initials, and has been lent back by the nephew of the man who bought it at the sale here in 1946, after the house was left to the city. The dining table comes from Kelton, the next big house along the ridge of the hill. The wallpaper is the original and has never been repainted.