Also in this section…?
- Video: George Holt
- 'Viscountess Folkestone', Thomas Gainsborough
- 'Mrs Sargent', George Romney
- 'Classical Landscape: Lake Avernus', Richard Wilson
- 'Mrs Heywood', Sir Joshua Reynolds
- 'Views on the Clyde', Patrick Nasmyth
- 'Rosenau', Joseph Mallord William Turner
- 'Mrs Elliot', John Opie
- 'Landscape', James Stark
- 'A Dog of Two Minds', William Mulready
- 'Taking the Deer: the Duke of Atholl with foresters', Edwin Landseer
- 'Coast Scene', Alfred Vickers
- 'Saints Day at Venice', James Baker Pyne
- 'Calais Pier', David Cox
- 'Girl Sketching', Sir Henry Raeburn
- 'The Wreck Buoy', Joseph Mallord William Turner
- 'Mrs Beauclerk', Thomas Lawrence
'Viscountess Folkestone', Thomas Gainsborough
In George Holt’s day a work by Gainsborough held the world record for the price of a painting; and Holt himself paid more for this picture, £3150, than for any other work in his collection. He was able to enjoy it for only a few weeks before he died. It is one of Gainsborough’s masterpieces, a sensitive study of old age that also displays his dazzling painting technique at its finest.
During the recent conservation of this portrait conservators analysyed the painting, identifying pigments and paint medium and revealing a radical change to the composition. Find out more in an online feature about the conservation of 'Viscountess Folkestone'.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Date: about 1778
Accession No: WAG 229