Also in this section…?
- Video: the Holt family maid
- 'Watching Dog', Briton Riviere
- 'Flower Piece', Jean Baptiste Monnoyer
- 'Girl With Birds', Auguste Legras
- 'Love's Palace', John Melhuish Strudwick
- 'The Evening Star', Henry William Banks Davis
- 'The Two Mothers', Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- 'Evening: The West still glimmers with some streaks of day', Thomas Creswick
- 'Her eyes are with her heart', Phillip Hermogenes Calderon
- 'What is it?', Henry Stacy Marks
- 'Weaving the Wreath', Frederic Lord Leighton
- 'Rush Gatherers', Henry Lejeune
- 'The Finding of the Saviour in the Temple', William Holman Hunt
'Study', Frederic Lord Leighton
The girl gazes dreamily at an Eastern illuminated manuscript on a Koran stand; her pink and golden silk clothing Middle Eastern in style.
Though Leighton’s paintings were mostly inspired by ancient Greece, he was also an enthusiast for Middle Eastern art. Around this time he was adding an Arab Hall to his Kensington studio house, now Leighton House museum. The model was Connie Gilchrist, a famous child actress.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Accession No: WAG 258