Also in this section…?
- 'Red and Blue Macaw', Henry Stacey Marks
- 'A Girl with her Dog', British School
- 'The Village Pastor', William Powell Frith
- 'Give Us This Day our Daily Bread', James Clarke Hook
- 'A Girl with a Basket of Apples', Hugues Merle
- 'Free From Care', Thomas Faed
- 'Fair at Fougères, Brittany', Frederick Goodall
- 'Card Players', Luigi Zuccoli
- 'Market Day', George Bernard O'Neill
- 'Sheep and Lambs', Rosa Bonheur
- 'Dog with slipper', Sir Edwin Landseer
- 'A Venetian Flower Girl', Samuel Luke Fildes
'Dog with slipper', Sir Edwin Landseer
Painting not currently on display
This is the latest of the Landseer works you can see at Sudley. It is also the most sentimental. The others ('Taking the Deer', 'Lake Scene' and 'Hunting Scene') are more visceral in their depiction of animals or the countryside.
'Dog with Slipper' does, however, show Landseer's famed ability to characterise animals through precise observation of their posture and behaviour.
Here, the animal is seen patiently awaiting the return of its human, favourite slippers at the ready. Such scenes of canine loyalty were very popular throughout the 19th century.
Medium and Support:Oil on panel
Accession No:WAG 249