Also in this section…?
- 'Ferdinand Lured by Ariel', John Everett Millais
- 'A Sunny Corner', Frederic Lord Leighton
- 'David Strangling the Lion', John Rogers Herbert
- 'Circe and Scylla', John Melhuish Strudwick
- 'Tobias and the Fish', John Rogers Herbert
- 'Ruth and Naomi', Ary Scheffer
- 'In a Convent Garden', George Dunlop Leslie
- 'O Swallow, Swallow', John Melhuish Strudwick
- 'The Garden of Gethsemane', William Dyce
'Contemplation', Henry Le Jeune
This painting temporarily replaces 'O Swallow, Swallow' by John Melhuish Strudwick, which will be included in the exhibition Victorian Treasures: Alma-Tadema Millais Rossetti Waterhouse’ at the Walker Art Gallery from 27 January to 7 May 2017.
George Holt senior acquired this painting. Its London-born artist exhibited a number of works at the Liverpool Academy and the Liverpool Institution of Fine Arts between 1842 and 1864. He enjoyed some success in London, and taught there at the Government School of Design in the 1840s. He was Curatorand instructor at the Royal Academy from 1848 to 1864. Le Jeune painted genre, landscape, literary and biblical scenes. Contemplation appears to have religious overtones.
Medium and Support: Oil paint on panel
Date: before 1853
Accession No: WAG 259