Also in this section…?
- 'Ferdinand Lured by Ariel', John Everett Millais
- 'A Sunny Corner', Frederic Lord Leighton
- 'David Strangling the Lion', John Rogers Herbert
- 'Circe and Scylla', John Melhuish Strudwick
- 'Tobias and the Fish', John Rogers Herbert
- 'Ruth and Naomi', Ary Scheffer
- 'In a Convent Garden', George Dunlop Leslie
- 'O Swallow, Swallow', John Melhuish Strudwick
- 'The Garden of Gethsemane', William Dyce
'O Swallow, Swallow', John Melhuish Strudwick
Zoom into the detail of this painting
This painting was inspired by lines from Tennyson’s ‘The Princess’ about a swallow flying south with a message from the poet to his beloved. She sits in a richly painted, intricately decorated interior awaiting the message from the bird, which is seen through the open window. Strudwick was a follower of Burne-Jones but his work is more intimate and packed with detail. This is the second of the paintings commissioned by George Holt from Strudwick for Sudley.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Accession No: WAG 305