Also in this section…?
- Video: George Holt
- 'Mother and Child', James John Hill
- 'Margate Harbour', Joseph Mallord William Turner
- 'Dutch Boats Beating into the Scheldt', Edward William Cooke
- 'Mrs Elizabeth Holt', George Henry
- 'Emma Holt', Percy Bigland
- 'George Holt senior', Philip Westcott
- 'Emma Durning Holt and Anne Holt', Philip Westcott
- 'Jane Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'William Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'The Sailing Ship, Emma', Samuel Walters
- 'George Holt', Robert E Morrison
- 'A Treatise on Parrots', Henry Stacy Marks
- 'Gypsy Sisters of Seville', John Phillip
'Dutch Boats Beating into the Scheldt', Edward William Cooke
George Holt’s father, George Holt the elder, bought this painting when it was exhibited at the Liverpool Academy in 1842 with money he had won as a prize.Â It was one of the first significant acquisitions of art made by the family.
Cooke became a Royal Academician and specialised in marine subjects, often depicting fishing boats in rough seas.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Accession No: WAG 319