Also in this section…?
- Video: George Holt
- 'Mother and Child', James John Hill
- 'Margate Harbour', Joseph Mallord William Turner
- 'Dutch Boats Beating into the Scheldt', Edward William Cooke
- 'Mrs Elizabeth Holt', George Henry
- 'Emma Holt', Percy Bigland
- 'George Holt senior', Philip Westcott
- 'Emma Durning Holt and Anne Holt', Philip Westcott
- 'Jane Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'William Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'Watching Dog', Briton Riviere
- 'The Sailing Ship, Emma', Samuel Walters
- 'George Holt', Robert E Morrison
- 'A Treatise on Parrots', Henry Stacy Marks
- 'Gypsy Sisters of Seville', John Phillip
'Emma Holt', Percy Bigland
Zoom into the detail of this painting
Emma was the only child of George and Elizabeth Holt. She was twenty-one years old when her parents moved to Sudley in 1883, and she lived in the house for the rest of her life.
She was a noted philanthropist and supporter of women’s causes. She left Sudley, its grounds, and its collection of paintings to the City of Liverpool at her death in 1944.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Accession No: WAG 8700