Also in this section…?
- Video: George Holt
- 'Mother and Child', James John Hill
- 'Margate Harbour', Joseph Mallord William Turner
- 'Dutch Boats Beating into the Scheldt', Edward William Cooke
- 'Mrs Elizabeth Holt', George Henry
- 'Emma Holt', Percy Bigland
- 'George Holt senior', Philip Westcott
- 'Emma Durning Holt and Anne Holt', Philip Westcott
- 'Jane Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'William Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'The Sailing Ship, Emma', Samuel Walters
- 'George Holt', Robert E Morrison
- 'A Treatise on Parrots', Henry Stacy Marks
- 'Gypsy Sisters of Seville', John Phillip
'Gypsy Sisters of Seville', John Phillip
This work, by an artist famed for his colourful pictures of Spanish life, was commissioned from the artist by George Holt the elder and is typical of the art that was to be found in his home in Lodge Lane.
It was given to George Holt as a gift, shortly after he and his family had moved to Sudley, by his younger brother Robert Durning Holt who wrote to him ‘there is no picture in the old family collection more intimately associated with the brighter memories of Father and Mother than this picture’.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Date: about 1854
Accession No: WAG 285