Also in this section…?
- Video: George Holt
- 'Mother and Child', James John Hill
- 'Margate Harbour', Joseph Mallord William Turner
- 'Dutch Boats Beating into the Scheldt', Edward William Cooke
- 'Mrs Elizabeth Holt', George Henry
- 'Emma Holt', Percy Bigland
- 'George Holt senior', Philip Westcott
- 'Emma Durning Holt and Anne Holt', Philip Westcott
- 'Jane Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'William Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'Watching Dog', Briton Riviere
- 'The Sailing Ship, Emma', Samuel Walters
- 'George Holt', Robert E Morrison
- 'A Treatise on Parrots', Henry Stacy Marks
- 'Gypsy Sisters of Seville', John Phillip
'Jane Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
Zoom into the detail of this painting
Jane Durning, born about 1760, was the daughter of a sea captain, Samuel Lang. Her costume and her apparent age suggest this portrait was painted about 1820.
The artist, who was deaf and dumb, spent his youth in London but enjoyed a successful practice in Manchester and Liverpool in the first decades of the 19th century.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Date: about 1820
Accession No: WAG 8703