Also in this section…?
- Video: George Holt
- 'Mother and Child', James John Hill
- 'Margate Harbour', Joseph Mallord William Turner
- 'Dutch Boats Beating into the Scheldt', Edward William Cooke
- 'Mrs Elizabeth Holt', George Henry
- 'Emma Holt', Percy Bigland
- 'George Holt senior', Philip Westcott
- 'Emma Durning Holt and Anne Holt', Philip Westcott
- 'Jane Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'William Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'Watching Dog', Briton Riviere
- 'The Sailing Ship, Emma', Samuel Walters
- 'George Holt', Robert E Morrison
- 'A Treatise on Parrots', Henry Stacy Marks
- 'Gypsy Sisters of Seville', John Phillip
'The Sailing Ship, Emma', Samuel Walters
Zoom into the detail of this painting
George Holt the elder owned shares in this ship, which was built in 1845 and traded between Liverpool and China. She was probably named for his wife, Emma Durning. In 1850 George Holt transferred his interest to his son George and the partner in his firm, W J Lamport.
This portrait of the vessel was commissioned from Liverpool’s leading ship portraitist at that time.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Date: about 1850
Accession No: WAG 1820