Back to National Museums Liverpool
Beautiful paintings, sculpture and decorative art from the 13th century to the present day.
Schools and groups
John Moores Prize
History of the Walker
Walker Art Gallery
Also in this section…
Altarpieces in our collection
Church life and religious belief in 15th century Cologne
Notes on the conservation work on the wings of the Altarpiece
Conserving a Panel Painting
Why might the images have been concealed?
Crucifixion, Mass of St Gregory Triptych
Painting Techniques and Processes
Road to Calvary
Descent from the Cross
Pieta / Lamentation of the Dead Christ
The Story of the Passion of Christ
The Trial of Christ / Christ in front of the people
Restoring the Walker Art Gallery's Altarpiece
Different types of altarpiece
Hermann Rinck died. The altarpiece was probably painted after his death.
The Master of the Aachen Altarpiece was working as an artist in Cologne. Because his identity is unknown he is referred to by another of his known works, the altarpiece with scenes from the Passion, which was painted around 1510 for the Carmelite church in Cologne and is now in the Cathedral Treasury at Aachen in Germany.
The altarpiece was commissioned for St Kolumba's church.
The panels were likely to have been separated, as the altarpiece is thought to have been brought from
to England at the time of the Napoleonic Wars.
The centre panel was acquired by a Manchester dealer who sold it on to Joseph Dixon of Newcastle upon Tyne.
First appearance of the wings, in the
Liverpool Royal Institute
catalogue. It was likely that they were purchased as a pair in 1842 to be shown in a gallery newly built by LRI for the Roscoe collection.
The centre panel was bought from Mr Dixon's executors by Edward Shipperdson, who presented it to the National Gallery, London.
The Liverpool Royal Institute presented the wings to the Walker Art Gallery along with the rest of the LRI's collections.
Conservation of central panel.
Discovery of images on the back of the winged panels
Entire triptych moved to National Gallery, London, during the refurbishment of the Walker Art Gallery.
Triptych returned to the Walker in time for its reopening.
Manchester 'Art Treasures' Exhibition, Nos. 405-6.
Leeds 'National Exhibition', No. 512a (1225).
Royal Academy, London, 'Winter Exhibition of Works by the Old Masters', Nos. 228 and 23.
New Gallery, London, 'Winter Exhibition', Nos. 19 and 248.
Exhibition of European Masters at Manchester Art Gallery, for anniversary of 1857 exhibition.
The altarpiece was lent to the Cologne Exhibition at Wallraf-Richartz Museum, Nos. 40b and 40c.
Share this page
Find us on
About this site
© Copyright 2013