Silver, made for St Luke's Church, Berry Street, Liverpool, by Robert Garrard, London, 1830-31
The chalice was made to hold the wine at the service of Mass or communion. This example is engraved with the Sacred Monogram, IHS, the first three letters of Jesus in Greek. It also has the symbols of Christ's Crucifixion, a cross and three nails.
Purchased with the assistance of the Victoria and Albert Museum Purchase Fund, 1972