Also in this section…?
- The Oratory, St James's Cemetery
- The architecture of the Oratory
- The architect, John Foster Jnr
- The Greek Revival
- 'Agnes Elizabeth Jones', Pietro Tenerani
- 'Mrs Emily Robinson', John Gibson
- 'Henry Park'
- 'John Foster' memorial tablet
- 'John Gore', William Spence
- 'John Rhodes', Sir Francis Chantrey
- 'John Thomson', Sir William Chantrey
- 'Henry Faithwaite Leigh, George Leigh and Catherine Pulford', William Spence
- 'The Nicholson Family'
- 'Rev Ralph Nicholson and his wife Catherine'
- 'Rt Rev Thomas Penswick', Peter Turnerelli
- 'William Earle', John Gibson
- 'William Ewart', Joseph Gott
- 'William and George Hetherington', George Lewis of Cheltenham
- 'William Hammerton', John Gibson
- 'Dr William Stevenson', John Alexander Patterson MacBride
- 'William White'
'Rt Rev Thomas Penswick', Peter Turnerelli
Accession number WAG8774
Thomas Penswick was the first priest of St Nicholas’s Roman Catholic chapel. He was also Vicar Apostolic of the Northern Region (before the restoration of its hierarchy in 1850, the Catholic Church in England was divided into districts governed by Vicars Apostolic) and titular bishop of Europum. Penswick’s mitre and crozier appear at the top of the monument, and below them a female stands by an altar bearing various attributes of the Christian faith.
Peter Turnerelli was the Irish-born son of an Italian political refugee. After studying in a Catholic seminary he moved to London and trained there as a sculptor. He became Sculptor-in-Ordinary to the Royal family, and his large output includes many portraits of Royalty and the Peerage. His work is of uneven quality, and it is fair to say that this example is of more historical than artistic interest.