Also in this section…?
- The Oratory, St James's Cemetery
- The architecture of the Oratory
- The architect, John Foster Jnr
- The Greek Revival
- 'Agnes Elizabeth Jones', Pietro Tenerani
- 'Mrs Emily Robinson', John Gibson
- 'Henry Park'
- 'John Foster' memorial tablet
- 'John Gore', William Spence
- 'John Rhodes', Sir Francis Chantrey
- 'John Thomson', Sir William Chantrey
- 'Henry Faithwaite Leigh, George Leigh and Catherine Pulford', William Spence
- 'The Nicholson Family'
- 'Rev Ralph Nicholson and his wife Catherine'
- 'Rt Rev Thomas Penswick', Peter Turnerelli
- 'William Earle', John Gibson
- 'William Ewart', Joseph Gott
- 'William and George Hetherington', George Lewis of Cheltenham
- 'William Hammerton', John Gibson
- 'Dr William Stevenson', John Alexander Patterson MacBride
- 'William White'
Accession number WAG8775
This monument comes from St Nicholas’s Roman Catholic church which formerly stood in Hawke Street behind the Adelphi Hotel. The church, or chapel as it was then called, was completed in 1812 and later became Liverpool’s Catholic Pro-Cathedral, but having been made redundant by the completion of the Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King it was finally demolished in 1973. This and the following two monuments were acquired for the Oratory in that year.
William White served as a priest at St Nicholas’s and his Latin epitaph may be translated as follows: ‘His Catholic fellow citizens erected this memorial to William White the hard-working, watchful and pious priest and minister of his ancestral faith in this church. He lived for forty years and died on 4 November 1832. May he rest in God’.