Also in this section…?
- Spoliation Information for Alessi, Andrea - 'St Jerome reading in a cave'
- Spoliation list - 'The Murder', Paul Cézanne
- 'Interior of a Foundry with Visitors', Léonard Defrance
- Spoliation Information for 'Rocher du Skevel', Maurice Denis
- Spoliation Information for 'L'Italienne', André Derain,
- Spoliation Information for Left panel of diptych. Carved with the Virgin and Child with St John the Baptist and St Katherine
- Spoliation Information for Artist Unknown - Dish, maiolica
- Spoliation Information for 'Merit' and 'Abundance' Francesco Guardi
- Spoliation Information for Gilles Joubert (designer), Roger Vandercruse Lacroix (manufacturer), French, Commode
- Spoliation Information for 'Cottage interior with seated woman', Max Lieberman
- Spoliation Information for 'Nocturne', Jean Hippolyte Marchand
- Spoliation Information for 'Break-up of the ice on the Seine, near Bennecourt', Claude Monet
- Spoliation Information for 'Diana and Endymion', Francesco Solimena
- Spoliation Information for Four fragments. Carved with a lute-playing satyr, and three scenes of Susannah and the Elders
- Spoliation Information for Nine panels. Carved with Susannah and the Elders
- Spoliation Information for 'Environs de Rouen', Maurice de Vlaminck
- Spoliation Information for 'Madame Hessel au Sofa', Edouard Vuillard
These pages contain lists of works from Walker Art Gallery's collection whose provenance is either incomplete or uncertain. They are published here to assist with the worldwide search for works of art that may have been wrongfully taken during the Holocaust and World War Two.
In publishing these lists we aim to advertise as widely as possible the details of specific works of art, the whereabouts and ownership of which cannot with confidence be specified for the years 1933-45. It should be noted that the inclusion of a work in these lists does not in itself indicate any suspicious circumstances, but simply that some provenance information is missing or uncertain. We hope that anyone with relevant information will come forward.
If you have any information regarding these works please contact the Walker Art Gallery.
Click an item in the list below to view the relevant spoliation information.
Paintings and Drawings
Cezanne, Paul 1839-1906 - 'The Murder' [provenance now established]
Defrance, Léonard 1735-1805 - 'Interior of a Foundry with Visitors' (1789)
Denis, Maurice 1870-1943 - 'Rocher du Skevel'
Derain, André 1880-1954 - 'L'Italienne' (c1920-1924)
Guardi, Francesco 1712-1793 - 'Merit', 'Abundance' (Two works) (1)
Lieberman, Max 1847-1935 - 'Cottage Interior with Seated Woman' (c 1878)
Marchand, Jean Hippolyte 1883-1940 - 'Nocturne' (1915)
Monet, Claude 1840-1926 - 'Break-up of the ice on the Seine, near Bennecourt' (c. 1892-93)
Solimena, Francesco (1657-1747) - 'Diana and Endymion'
Vlaminck, Maurice de (1876-1958) - 'Environs de Rouen' (Spring 1910)
Vuillard, Edouard (1868-1940) - 'Madame Hessel au Sofa'
Artist unknown, possibly French, Lyons or Nevers, about 1570 - Dish, maiolica. Painted with the Mocking of Christ after B Salomon, Figure del nuovo testamento, Lyon, 1554.
Gilles Joubert (designer), Roger Vandercruse Lacroix (manufacturer), French, Paris 1772 - Commode. RVLC impressed; painted inventory number 2666. One of a pair supplied by Joubert for the Salon de Compagnie of Mademoiselle Du Barry at Versailles.
Artist unknown, South German, 1350-1360 - Left panel of diptych. Carved with the Virgin and Child with St John the Baptist and St Katherine.
Artist unknown, North Italian, circa 1450 - Nine panels. Carved with Susannah and the Elders.
Artists unknown, North Italian, 15th century - Four fragments. Carved with a lute-playing satyr, and three scenes of Susannah and the Elders.
For more information about spoliation and to see other organisations' lists, please visit the National Museums Directors' Conference website